Thursday, May 22, 2008

My Mother Taught Me

He who answers before listening....that is his folly and his shame. Proverbs 18:13

I find that there are times when I answer without thinking through what the other person has just conveyed to me. Later, I will think about it and really wish that I had given a different answer, sometimes a completely different answer.

I will challenge myself today and going forward to listen carefully, give careful thought to the words being conveyed to me. I will not be so quick to dish out advice until I am sure the advice I am giving is wanted, needed, and of God and not my own understanding.

Sometimes, the best gift we can give someone is to listen to them, give them a shoulder to lean on, and lots of understanding. Sometimes, we do not want advice, only to be heard.

No comments: